Blackburn Hamlet is an outer suburb of Ottawa located in the city ward of Innes, about 15 kilometres east from downtown Ottawa. Prior to the amalgamation of Ottawa in 2001, the community was originally considered part of the city of Gloucester. Blackburn Hamlet is currently home to an estimated population of more than 8,000 residents.
Referred to by locals simply as “Blackburn” or “The Hamlet,” the neighbourhood takes its name from Robert Blackburn, a Member of Parliament for Russell during the mid-1800s. Its earliest settlers (mostly of English and Irish descent) arrived in the area during the early 1800s. Known primarily as an agricultural community during its early days, Blackburn Hamlet went through several name changes before its first post office was established in 1858.
Today, Blackburn Hamlet is a wonderful place to call home, with top-quality schools, a great variety of shops and restaurants, and over 250 kilometres of picturesque hiking and cross country ski trails. Residents who enjoy sports will find a wide selection of recreational areas and facilities, including the well-known toboggan hills of Green’s Creek, the Hornet’s Nest outdoor soccer fields, and the Super Dome.
Blackburn Hamlet Real Estate
Blackburn Hamlet has a relaxing country village feel that isn’t present in most nearby neighbourhoods. Combined with its close proximity to downtown Ottawa, the area offers a terrific combination of bucolic charm and easy access to big city amenities.
An impressive selection of well-maintained properties is available for homebuyers in Blackburn Hamlet. Some options include starter homes in friendly tree-lined neighbourhoods, 3-storey town homes with bright and airy interiors, lovely single-family homes located close to schools, shopping centres, and transit, and spacious 4 to 5-bedroom homes with large landscaped lots.
Homes in the community share first-class common features such as large private yards, rich hardwood floors, high ceilings, updated kitchens, elegant bathrooms, and impressive master bedrooms with gorgeous views.
Most neighbourhoods in Blackburn Hamlet are also located close to services and amenities, offering residents a very comfortable and convenient lifestyle.
Quick Facts About Blackburn Hamlet
- Blackburn Hamlet is home to the famous Hornet’s Nest, a sprawling outdoor recreational facility with 11 soccer fields and an indoor sports facility called the Super Dome, which features a FIFA-approved soccer pitch.
- The Blackburn Community Association or BCA organizes many events, activities, clubs, and committees for residents throughout the year.
- During the winter months, the Blackburn Arena is a popular destination for many residents looking for some ice skating or a game of hockey.
- Geocaching is a popular activity in Blackburn Hamlet. Participants enjoy looking for a great number of geocaches throughout the community’s winding network of nature trails and expansive forested areas.
- Louis-Riel, a French public high school within Blackburn Hamlet, is home to the largest air-supported fabric structure recreation facility, with more than 12,400 square meters of space.
- A series of neighbourhood parks and bike paths can be found throughout Blackburn Hamlet, making it a very pedestrian-friendly community.
- Throughout the year, residents can take part in many amateur intramural sports competitions held in the community’s great selection of baseball diamonds, soccer fields, swimming pools, tennis courts, and other sports facilities.