Nepean Homes for Sale and Ottawa Real Estate
Nepean is a community situated west of central Ottawa, along the western banks of the Rideau River. Named after Sir Evan Nepean, a British Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department during the late 17th century, the community was a former city before it was amalgamated along with several other districts.
First established in 1792, the community was originally known as Nepean Township or Township D, before it was officially incorporated as a city in 1978. During this time, the new city experienced rapid growth, with its borders expanding to include former rural areas such as Barrhaven and Centrepointe. Its city centre also changed location, transferring to the Bells Corners community.
Today, Nepean is an excellent place to live in especially for those planning to raise a family, as it is home to a top-notch selection of quality schools. Commutes to downtown Ottawa and the nearby community of Kanata are easy as well, opening up a wide selection of employment opportunities for residents.
There are plenty of great activities to enjoy in Nepean, as it is built around the NCC Greenbelt, providing residents with vast green spaces filled with outstanding recreational facilities. The community boasts a diverse amount of outdoor destinations, which include equestrian parks, marinas, toboggan hills, beaches, golf courses, and a network of hiking, cycling, and cross country skiing trails.
Nepean Real Estate
Nepean is divided into several neighbourhoods, each with its own unique features. You can choose from neighbourhoods close to shopping districts, neighbourhoods with sweeping views of Hog’s Back and Mooney’s Bay, and neighbourhoods along the Greenbelt surrounded by lush greenery.
Like its neighbourhoods, real estate options in Nepean are also diverse. There’s a wide inventory of available homes in the area that are guaranteed to fit your budget, lifestyle, and needs and preferences. Some available options include rentals, single-family homes, townhomes, and high-rise condos.
Quick Facts About Nepean
- The Ottawa-Carleton District School Board administers all public schools in Nepean. Catholic schools on the other hand, are managed by the Ottawa-Carleton Catholic School Board.
- Ben Franklin Place was used as Nepean’s city hall before the community became part of Ottawa. Today, the building is used as a government office and client service centre.
- Nepean is home to a number of shopping centres, which include the Meadowlands and Merivale shopping districts and the expansive Bayshore Mall.
- Residents looking for a good workout can head to the Nepean Sportsplex, a sprawling multi-purpose facility that features indoor and outdoor recreation amenities. Sports and activities available at the facility include swimming, skating, aerobics, squash, and more.
- The Nepean Museum houses an extensive collection of artifacts, memorabilia, works, and other items related to early Nepean history. The museum boasts a large, 2,000 square-foot exhibit area where residents can enjoy viewing the vast collection. Admission to the museum is free.
- The Nepean Creative Arts Centre is an excellent place to learn for aspiring artists. The centre offers classes facilitated by accomplished artists from different fields – painters, writers, musicians, filmmakers, photographers, musicians, and more. Classes are available for different age groups, from preschool students to adults.