Beacon Hill Homes for Sale and Ottawa Real Estate
Located in the east end of Ottawa, Beacon Hill is a neighbourhood that covers a total area of around nine square kilometres. It is considered part of the greater Orleans and Gloucester communities and is predominantly residential, with a few professional and industrial establishments like the National Research Council of Canada and the Robert O. Pickard Environmental Centre. Beacon Hill is currently home to an estimated population of more than 18,000 permanent residents.
Beacon Hill is divided into several sub-neighbourhoods: Beacon Heights, Beacon Hill North, Beacon Hill South, Beaconwood, and is located adjacent to Rothwell Heights, and Rothwell Village.
Affectionately called “The Hill” by many locals, Beacon Hill is named after a lighthouse along the Ottawa River, which used to be visible from the top of a hill along Naskapi Drive. Today, the lighthouse no longer exists, though remnants of its original foundation can still be spotted from the Ottawa River Pathway.
Residents of Beacon Hill enjoy a scenic natural environment with plenty of green space, as the community is bordered by the Ottawa Greenbelt. A leisurely drive through the area is a relaxing experience, as you’ll get to soak in panoramic views of dense woodlands, gradually rolling hills, pristine rivers, and lush residential parks and recreational spaces.
For those who plan to raise a family, Beacon Hill is an excellent option due to the high concentration of schools in the area. The well-established bilingual community is home to many elementary, middle, and secondary schools that provide quality education, such as Colonel By Secondary School, Robert Hopkins Elementary School, Henry Munro Middle School, and more.
Getting around Ottawa is a seamless experience when you live in Beacon Hill as well, thanks to easy access to Highway 417, O-Train stations, park and ride services, and several bus routes available in the neighbourhood.
Beacon Hill Real Estate
Beacon Hill offers a diverse variety of real estate opportunities for those planning to move into the neighbourhood.
Some of the choices available in the area include cozy 2 to 3-bedroom bungalows, lovely 3-level town homes in quiet neighbourhoods, well-designed semi-detached homes with first-class features, and spacious 4 to 5-bedroom single-family homes located close to amenities.
Built in the late 1960’s and early 70’s, Beacon Hill is a mix of original and renovated homes boasting elegant interiors, with common features that include hardwood floor, tons of storage space, and more.
Quick Facts About Beacon Hill
- Beacon Hill used to be part of the city of Gloucester, before its amalgamation with Ottawa in 2001.
- Beacon Hill is home, or close to, three outstanding toboggan hills: Green’s Creek, Loyola Park, and Ski Hill Park. These three areas offer residents fun recreational activities during winter, and lush open space where you can unwind during the summer.
- A drive to downtown Ottawa from Beacon Hill takes about 5 minutes, 20 minutes during rush hour, and 35 minutes if you take a bus.
- Tom Cruise attended Beacon Hill’s Henry Munro Middle School during the early 1970s.
- Beacon Hill offers plenty of great shopping opportunities for residents, as the Beacon Hill Shopping Centre along with a wide variety of shops, restaurants, and grocery stores are conveniently accessible throughout the neighbourhood.