Kanata and Stittsville – Ottawa Real Estate
Kanata is a planned community that’s considered one of the largest suburbs in central Ottawa. It is located in the city’s western portion, and is about 20 minutes away by car from downtown Ottawa. The community occupies a total area of more than 130 square kilometres, and is home to more than 80,000 permanent residents.
Originally included as part of the Township of March, Kanata started out as a European settlement during the early 19th century. It later on evolved into an area that was mostly agricultural, before experiencing rapid development during the 1960s.
Today, Kanata is known as “Silicon Valley North” due to the high volume of technology firms in the area. It’s a wonderful place to call home, as the area boasts a great selection of family-friendly neighbourhoods, breathtaking nature trails, large shopping centres and recreational venues, and so much more.
Kanata Real Estate
Kanata boasts plenty of diversity, as it is divided into several different neighbourhoods, each with its own distinct charm and character. For example, Kanata Lakes is great for buyers looking for an upscale location, while the Kanata North Business Park is an excellent location for those who’d like to live close to the tech hub.
Buyers searching for an ideal home can choose from a selection of single-family homes and condos that can fit almost any budget.
Quick Facts About Kanata
- Shoppers can find many great shopping venues in Kanata, such as the Hazeldean Mall, the Kanata Centrum, and the Tanger Outlet Mall.
- The NHL’s Ottawa Senators are based in Kanata. Their home games take place at Canadian Tire Centre.
- Major tech employers situated in Kanata are HP, Cisco Systems, Inc., Dell Canada, Blackberry, and Alcatel-Lucent.
Stittsville is a neighbourhood located within the former Goulbourn Township, in the west end of Ontario. It shares its borders with the nearby community of Kanata, and is about 30 kilometres west of downtown Ottawa.
The community’s earliest settlers were comprised of Irish soldiers, who arrived in the area during the early 18th century. Its original town site was located at the intersection of Carp Road and Hazeldean Road, and is now known as Old Stittsville.
Stittsville today is a fast-growing community with many thriving businesses and affordable neighbourhoods that offer a high quality of life.
Stittsville Real Estate
Considered one of the top neighbourhoods in Ottawa, Stittsville is a great place especially for growing families as it has managed to retain its small town feel despite being a short drive away from downtown Ottawa.
The properties in the area mostly consist of single-family homes, but several townhomes, condos, and vacant land are available as well. Most of the homes are well-built, with beautiful interiors and a wide range of first-class features and amenities.
Quick Facts About Stittsville
- Stittsville is named after the community’s first postmaster, Jackson Stitt.
- Stittsville was once destroyed by the Great Carleton Fire of 1870. The neighbourhood flourished once again when the Canadian Pacific constructed a railway that connected Ottawa to Carleton Place.
- Many residents of Stittsville are employed by nearby Kanata’s high-tech companies or by the federal government.